A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Rhinebeck 2012: yarn, yarn and more yarn.

The first day of Rhinebeck I just wasn't feeling the (buying) mojo.  We went to all our favorites and I didn't see anything that I HAD to have.  I have to tell you it was depressing.  Nancy made the first purchase of the day within minutes of walking into the first building.  The yarn just jumped out at her.  Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the beauty of the day, the walking fashion show of other fair-goers, the thrill of being at Rhinebeck, and of course my sister's company (she is reading this, so, you know...)
 
I think the first skein I bought was Lisa Souza Cashmere/Silk Fingering (400 yds, 55% silk, 45% cashmere). The color is called Casbah.  Definitely 'take me to the Casbah". Nothing improves a mood better than cashmere.  Really, you should try it.
 I found this brilliant skein towards the end of the day.  This made me very happy.  It's Freia Fine Handpaints Ombre Laceweight (645 yds, 75% wool, 25% nylon). The color is Fucshia. Seriously joyful. I think I'm going to knit this Entrelac with Tassels shawl. It's written for fingering, I'm going to see what happens.
 Ahhh, Cephalod Yarns.  We had fun here.  The top skein is Skinny Bugga fingering weight yarn (424 yds, 80% superwash merino/10% cashmere, 10% nylon). The color, Charaxes Tiridate) is a really awesome tonal yarn in deep sapphire hues into almost black.

The bottom two skeins are completely out of character for me and can I tell you I was completely drawn to them.  I randomly consulted strangers for color opinion.  The yarn is Traveller dk weight yarn (280 yds, 100% superwash merino).  The color is called Hobart, IN and is probably about as close to Hobart, IN that I'll ever get.
 This yarn was from The Grinning Gargoyle. I'm going to knit Adrienne Ku's Schmetterling Shawl.  The yarn is Seda Sock (430 yds, 50% merino, 50% silk).  The color is (appropriately) Vino.
 Stunning, Sapphire, skein called Birte a dk weight yarn from Spirit Trail Fiberworks (275yds, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, 10% bombyx silk).
 I do not remember the name of this yarn, it's from Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farm and it's a merino, silk blend of laceweight. I'm going to knit the Ruffled Feathers Poncho. 

As you can see, I more than made up for Saturday's missing mojo.  I may have even over compensated a bit. 


2 comments:

Susan Gallagher Espanol said...

JEALOUS!!!! LOVE all your choices!!!!!!

Ann said...

I ended up bringing home two skeins of Spirit Trail Fiberworks! But the Holda flavor, with the angora in it.
I think I got that same shade of blue, too!
And a lovely red one. sigh.

I should go knit a cowl.