First the back story. There is a special little girl in my life who is turning 5. Last year I knit her a Roo Design Sweater with a cup cake on it. I like to knit for her birthday. When I asked her mom about knitting another pullover, she suggested a capelet because she gets warm easily. That nixes pullovers.
I did a Ravelry search for capelets for little girls and didn't find anything I loved. What's a girl to do? I designed one just for her. Here mom gave me measurements to work around.
Needless to say I didn't start this until a week before her birthday; well, actually it was Monday and her birthday was yesterday. That part is ok, I don't see her till this weekend.
Being 5, it's all about purple and pink. Obviously I went with purple. The yarn is Bergereine by Bergère de France (DK: 50% Cotton, 50% Wool, 104 yards). I designed it with a picot border at the top and bottom. With a picot edge like this, I had to fold it in half at the picot row and sew it to the inside.
Merrily I knit along, taking notes as I went. I used two skeins down to the inch. I ran out with 6" of the bottom picot border to sew. Not worth going into another skein. I knew I must have some purple yarn to finish sewing. Unfortunately, the shades were off and if someone caught sight of the inside, it would look bad. Then I thought, 'hey, I could use clear nylon thread'. I was pretty pleased with myself. This is where the fun begins.
You have to have a sense of humor when sewing with clear nylon thread. It may not look clear, but just try threading the needle. It's like an episode if candid camera. I realize that I am dating myself.
I took off my glasses better, sometimes that helps. There is nylon thread in this picture. YOU try to find it. While trying to get a grip on the yarn, I thought maybe this is how Marcel Marceau got started in mime. Wait a minute, envision it: Someone trying to thread a needle with thread, but there's no thread to be seen. It seemed like an exercise in futility threading that needle. Finally I kind of looped it in on itself.
Unblocked it was 14.5" wide across the top, 8.5" deep, and 30" wide at the bottom.
I soaked it in cool water for a while and then stretched it out to pop the eyelets and make it a little bigger. I didn't need pins, it laid flat nicely. Blocked it was 16" wide across the top, 9" deep, and 36" wide at the bottom.
I'm going to run a narrow ribbon through the eyelets at the top as closure. After the pattern is tested, I'll post it with a picture of the birthday girl.