A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, November 5, 2012

Weathering the Storm

I want to start off by saying that I hope you and your families have come through the storm and its aftermath safely.

We closed the store Monday in anticipation of the storm. Since we were all staying home, I thought it would be a good time to wrestle with my stash. 

It is an adventure trying to dig through my yarn room, the room formerly known as my dining room.  It also serves as the catchall for things that don't have a place and I want out of sight. Thing #2 peered into the room and exclaimed, "This looks an episode from hoarders, can I take a picture?" DEFINITELY NOT.

I organize my stash into yarns partnered with patterns or yarns that are either spring/summer or fall winter and don't have a designated pattern.  It's a good thing Thanksgiving is a couple of weeks away, it's going to take me that long to restore it to dining room status.
Monday I finished my Ponchini, the Wesport Yarns knit-a-long.  First I pinned it closed to see how much blocking it would need. The pattern is very specific about blocking with steam.  Before blocking it was 16" wide x 41" long.
With simply steaming it blocked 2" longer, which was perfect.  The steam was really perfect for the bamboo.  I used the mattress stitch and followed the schematic to sew it.  Then I crocheted around the neckline.

I'm getting a lot of use out of it.


 Thankfully the dogs were fairly subdued during the storm.  I told Thing #1 if she took Tucker out on the leash he would be a puppy balloon. She didn't like that idea.  Hmmm.
  It's times like these that I completely understand the meaning behind "let sleeping dogs lie" or "never wake a sleeping a baby". These were probably uttered by a mother who just wanted a little peace and quiet.

No comments: