A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Friezing in Florida



Mosaic knitting is one of my favorite color-work techniques. This eye-catching shawl/scarf looks more complicated than it is.  
 
© maliha

The Frieze Shawl by Lisa Hannes is pure knitting fun. Per the designer, “It is an elongated, asymmetrical triangle shawl with a curved top edge. You’ll start knitting with just a few stitches at one tip, then work your way across to the opposite edge creating the triangular shape by increasing/decreasing at the edges. It is finished with an i-cord bind-off.” 

It's knit up on larger needles, US #8-10 (depending on your yarn). The pattern requires 200 yards of worsted/aran weight yarn in two colors with good contrast. It can be a solid and a variegated or two solids. Either way, it is really striking.


I've knit the pattern three times, once for a sample for Westport Yarns (and a class). Yarn: Blue Sky Fibers Extra and Artyarns Big Merino Cloud


Next I knit one for myself in Noro Silk Garden and Zen Yarn Garden Serenity Worsted.
 

I just finished my third Frieze Shawl for an upcoming class at Knit or Knot Yarns in Jupiter, Florida. For this shawl I used Noro Taiyo Aran and Berroco Comfort Solids & Heathers. Given the climate, I chose non-wool yarns. 
 
As you can see, I am partial to variegated yarns as contrast to the solid color. Yarns with long color repeats (like Noro) knit up with in stripes of color. The first shawl I knit had a randomly variegated yarn which results in random color shifts. The shawl could easily be knit with two solids for dramatic effect. Click here to view a knitter on Ravelry who chose two solids.


If you're in the Jupiter area and not freezing elsewhere, join me for the Frieze Shawl class at Knit or Knot. For more information, call the shop at 561-746-1005 or email them at knitorknotyarns@gmail.com.

No comments: