A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Inspiration

Ideas and designing and how it all comes together can mean different things for different designers - AND - different things for the same designer.

Sometimes ideas are organic. Sometimes I'm inspired by pictures of existing garments.

And other times I'm inspired by yarn.  When a particular yarn really grabs my attention, it has to marinate for a while. What I mean by that is that it has to sit on my desk until I get a feeling for what it wants to be.


The yarns that have inspired me this time around are from Artyarns: Silk Halo (Fingering: 60% Mohair, 40% Silk, 165 yards) and Beaded Mohair & Sequins (DK: 60% Silk, 40% Mohair, 114 yards).  Both in the same colorway, #608. 

While the yarn watches me from my desk, I first consider what I can do with the yardage I have, 279 yards.  Definitely an neck accessory.  I considered different stitch patterns and scarf shapes until I found a combination that felt right.

The stitch pattern I chose is a 10 row repeat. To make up for the difference in yardage between the two yarns, I'll knit 6 rows with Silk Halo and 4 rows with the Beaded Mohair & Sequins.  It's a bit of a crap shoot of how big it will be and how well I will maximize the yarn yardage.  I'm living on the edge.


 I began knitting on a #7 needle. Immediately I liked how the stitch pattern played between the two yarns.  However, a little voice in my head kept asking, "should you go up a needle?".  I ignored her for as long as I could.  The I knit a repeat with a #8.  It was like the yarn sighed happily.  I kid you not.


You know what comes next, don't you?  I had to rip it out.  On one hand, not a big deal, I hadn't knit too far.  On the other hand, it is mohair which does not play nicely with ripping out.  I put it in the freezer for time out so the fibers could retract a little. It worked like a charm.


So goes the way of designing. I'm well on my way now and really loving the look.


The pattern will be called Twin Rivers.  If you are interested in test knitting the pattern, please leave me a message on Ravelry.



No comments: