A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Christmas in July; well, really August.

One of the great things about working in a yarn store is being surrounded by gorgeous yarns.  One of the worst things about working in a yarn store is being surrounded by gorgeous yarns.


In August the Fall yarns begin to arrive.  Every time the UPS or FEDEX driver rings the bell, there are new boxes to open full of possibilities and temptation.  It's like Christmas in July only it's August.

We do develop a slightly thicker skin when it comes to the yarns.  Otherwise we'd be hoarders.  Personally I think of myself as a collector.  It's a kinder, gentler word for hoarder and sounds far more sophisticated.


Last week we got in a shipment of Zen Yarn Garden Superfine Fingering (Fingering: 90% Merino, 10% Nylon, 400 yards).  Zen Yarn Garden does an exquisite job with their dyeing.  It's to dye for (couldn't resist - haven't finished the morning coffee and I'm a little punchy).


Many of the colors are from their Artwalk series where the colorways take on the colors in various pieces of fine art.  It should come as no surprise that I fell in love with a colorway named, A Path in Monet's Garden.

There were other colors that tempted as well, and one does have to draw the line.  Sometimes.

Well then.  Yarn in hand I needed a pattern. Blinded by excitement the first couple of patterns I chose were for worsted or dk weight and I did not want to modify.  I wanted to cast on and knit.

After much research, I found three patterns:

photo credit: © maliha

Upwards Shawl & Cowl (thank you, Diane, a knitter after my one heart).

photo credit: © Paulina Popiolek

photo credit: © Jennifer Dassau

I sent a link to them to my sister with a picture of the yarn.  Let her be the judge, I simply couldn't decide and I trust her judgement.  

She immediately got back to me seconds after I sent the email (LOVE THAT, she totally understood the urgency of the question without a backstory.


The winner, Jet Set Cowl.  I bought the pattern without delay and cast on. 

No comments: