A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Simple Pleasures

I did my knitterly duty and taught my girls how to knit when they were 11, 9, 5 years old.  My oldest found it too stressful (and is now a happy recipient), my middle is a very capable knitter (when she chooses to dust off her knitting needles), and my youngest knit fabric that would rival battle armor - she crochets.  The younger two will knit/crochet gifts on occasion. They are not constant "knitting"companions for me at home. 

My kids will often send me photos of things they see in shops and ask if I can knit them. Now my kids friends are asking them to knit things for them.  My middle's (you know her as Thing #1) friend sent her a picture of a hat she saw and asked if she could knit it. 


Thing #1 picked out yarn and we worked out the pattern.  The yarn is Malabrigo Worsted (Aran: 100% Merino, 210 yards).

Vgc-katia-cotton-merino-1_gallery_small2
© Churchmouse Yarns & Teas
Now on a roll, she wanted yarn to knit a gift. She wanted to make a cowl, and it had to be "tv knitting" because we had a movie day planned. I have a box of worsted weight washable yarn and I let her pick through it to find yarn. We settled on Churchmouse's pattern, Very Gifted Cowl. The very definition of tv knitting, knit in the round till the cows come home or you run out of yarn, whichever comes first.

I loved when she turned to me and said "It's amazing that I still remember how to join a new ball of yarn and weave in my ends. Mental Happy Dance.


After coloring through the first movie we watched, Thing #2 asked for yarn.  She picked out blues and began crocheting something for a friend.  I never know if there is a method to her madness or if she makes it up as she goes along.  Either way it's a pleasure to have her crocheting by my side.


As I write this I am flanked by one daughter knitting and one daughter crocheting.  Be still my heart.


Thing #1 finished the cowl in short order and decided to knit a baby hat for a baby she sits for, (daughter of the cowl recipient). I'm knitting a Frieze shawl for myself in Silk Garden (Aran: 45% Mohair, 45% Silk, 10% Wool, 110 yards) and Serenity Worsted (Worsted: 75% Merino, 15% Cashmere, 10% Nylon, 175 yards).  


Thing #2 finished her crocheted scarf by the end of the evening. After sharing the picture with her friends, she has a request for another one.


A super cute baby in a super cute hat.

No comments: