A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Sunday, September 14, 2014

This is why I knit socks



I've been knitting socks for my dad for at least five years. These two pairs of socks are the first socks I knit him.










 In case you're wondering, the yarn is Artyarns Supermerino (Aran: 100% Merino, 104 yards). The pattern is custom for him. ;)


 Periodically when I visit, I'll get a "heads-up" that socks need darning.  I am always pleasantly surprised when I find leftover bits of the yarn that belong to the socks.  because I'm not that organized. 

This time, I found a small ball the day before while looking for something else completely.  It's purely happenstance that the next day when they called I knew where the yarn was.  The second ball was in the first place I looked. 

What can I say?  This time the knitting gods smiled on me. I must pay homage to them lest they get cranky.  What is a proper homage/sacrifice for a knitting god?  Do I have to rip something out? Suggestions are welcome. But I digress.



 I believe this is the first pair of socks I knit for him.  This is the third or fourth time I've darned these socks. The first time I darned socks, I used a water bottle.  Since then, I acquired a darning egg. I must admit, I liked the water bottle better for shape, it was pretty noisy to work with though.


Here's a link on how to darn socks.


The joy on his face when they are darned is all the inspiration I need to keep knitting (him) socks.

No comments: