A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Friday, April 19, 2013

The Mystery Unfolds....


***************Spoiler Alert**************
This post contains pictures of the first part of the Not Just Plain Jane Mystery KAL. So if you don't want to know, turn back now!


I'm knitting with Be Sweet Cotton Candy (Worsted: 100% Cotton, 130 yards).  I love my color. No real surprise there.

I began knitting with gusto when the first part of the pattern arrived.  It was addicting as most Not Just Plain Jane patterns are. However, as I began to see the size and stitch definition of the other knitters at Westport Yarns, I began to have my doubts.



My first glimmer of doubt came when I saw Michelle's KAL.  She's knitting with Cascade Venezia Worsted (Worsted: 70% Merino, 30% Silk, 218 yards).  Her stitch definition is much crisper than mine.  Also, she is making the large and it was the same size as mine - I'm doing the small/medium.

When I started the project, I went down one needle size to a #5 figuring that would suffice.  The more I saw of other people's KAL's, the more misgivings I had.  Did that stop me from knitting onward?  No, of course not.  That would make sense.  It was only till the last 10 (out of 147) rows were in sight that I thought to cast on with a smaller needle and see if I liked it better.

You see, I don't want it to be ginormous.  I won't wear it then.  I went down to a #3 and knit about 20 rows last night.  Immediately I could see an improvement.  Here was the challenge before me. The next part of the pattern comes out tomorrow.  I did not want to be behind the proverbial 8 ball as I've offered to help out with the pattern when Jane can't be at the store.

I did the row math, I had 80 rows to do today.   I worked 20 rows at a time, taking breaks.  On the last 10 rows (again) I felt like I was trudging uphill in a blinding snowstorm.  Ok, so it wasn't that bad.  I was just tired.  The funny thing about doing it again was that it did seem to go faster.  I knew what all the stitches were going to look like.
 

The piece on the #3 needle is 1-2" narrower and shorter.  


The moral of the story is, sometimes you should listen to the little voices in your head. But only sometimes.

No comments: