A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Friday, July 27, 2012

Cool Beads

My sister and I had the rare opportunity of a visit just the two of us.  We planned knitting (of course) and a new craft project.  I had most of the supplies to make the popular leather wrap bracelets.

We made a trip to the local bead store; of course I left the instructions at home.  We winged it as is our way.
I realized when we laid out our supplies that the thread I had was not the right color for the beads we chose.  What a shock (insert sarcasm here). We improvised (again, say it with sarcasm). 
Nancy had .45mm silver beading wire that she was going to use.  I realized that laceweight yarn would be a reasonable substitute for the thread.  Nancy had some leftover from a project, it was a really pretty variegated colorway too.

We began to watch the tutorial video, after we saw her set it up and work a bead or two we got antsy to start and began.  We were just so excited. This less than thorough viewing of the instructions caught up with me later.
As we beaded our bracelets, we couldn't help but peak at each others progress. Partly out of curiosity and partly because neither one of us wanted to be "last".  No matter what, you can't shake lifelong sibling stuff.  It was done with humor though and that's the important difference from childhood.  

It appears that I selectively watch video instructions much the way I selectively read written patterns.  When I was nearly done and taking a break, I decided to skim the directions.  It turns out that every 10 beads or so you are supposed to apply a little glue. 
THAT would explain why some of our beads were jumping out of place.  Hmpf.  I went back and glued.
We both finished our bracelets which was hugely satisfying.  We have enough beads left to swap colors and each make another bracelet.  Being sisters, of course I like her bracelet better.
After making our bracelets, we realized that this pattern could be applied to any size bead and leather.  The bracelet pictured above is one of Nancy's long-time favorites.  Now she has the know-how to recreate it.  She, like me, never leaves well enough alone. 







No comments: