A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fast Food Knitting

Bulky and Super Bulky yarns are great for instant gratification knitting a/k/a fast food knitting.
The Great Adirondack 342 superwash has 220 yards. I got it last year when Patty Subik, owner/creator of Great Adirondack yarns, did a trunk show at Westport Yarns.

The Gap-tastic Cowl was perfect for a Sunday of mindless knitting. I watched Part 2 of the last Harry Potter movie (awesome). Adventure movies are great for mindless knitting, you knit really fast during the intense parts. It also carried me through an afternoon of football.

I used Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Cast On which is my new favorite for stretchy cast ons. It's really cool once you get the hang of it.
I estimated 6x the circumference of the cowl to set aside for Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. I just made it! I was sweating a little watching the last few stitches versus what yarn I had left. You may be wondering how I came up with 6x. Well, for a regular bind-off, I allow 3x the length/circumference of what I'm knitting. This uses up more yarn, so I doubled it and crossed my fingers.
I love how it came out. Mine is shorter than the pattern and I'm fine with that.
Of course, now we have a few days of warm weather so I can't wear it right away. I know winter will catch up with us all too soon, so I'll enjoy the mild weather for the brief interlude that it will be.

No comments: