A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, December 13, 2010

I text therefore, I am

Thing 1 and Thing 2 want convertible mittens. I've been using the Pop Up Paws pattern for one of the mittens. However, it doesn't have instructions for a "pop up thumb".
I had to tweak the pattern for a different gauge yarn and of course create a pop up thumb. How else could my little darlings text in the cold weather?
I am quite happy with this and so is Thing #1. I used Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off for the half fingers. I like it better than any other elastic bind off I've used in the past.

I think I'm going to call these Fiddly Mitts because they are just plain awkward what with the half fingers, pop up parts and such. Seeing how happy they make Thing #1 makes it worth it though.

Here's the thing. Just like second sock syndrome, there is second mitten syndrome. I'm going to have to resist the urge to knit something indulgent - you know, just because. I consider knitting the second mitten right away like ripping off a band-aid.
Nope, couldn't help myself. We got in Malabrigo Super Bulky yarn and it's fabulous; the color has deep teal and shades of cranberry. I needed to knit something for fun that wasn't for a gift or a deadline. I found a free pattern for a Bulky Mobius Cowl by Haley Waxberg. It was such a pleasure to knit with this yarn and it worked up super fast (as you could well imagine). Instant gratification!

No comments: