A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Outside the Box Knitting

Last night was the first class of Jane Elliott's Starry Night Shawl at Westport Yarns. This is one of those fascinating garments that you look at and ponder it's construction.

The class was full (per usual with Jane). One of my co-workers, Fanone, and I sat in. Jane is a terrific teacher and very entertaining.

I'm knitting mine in Blue Heron Rayon Metallic. I originally bought the yarn to knit Jane's Renaissance Shawl. Then I became enamored with the Renaissance Poncho and bought different yarn to make that, and stashed the Blue Heron. I especially like my blue/purple sparkly colorway because it puts me in mind of the painting Starry Night by Van Gogh.
The shawl is constructed with 15 hexagon motifs that are kitchener stitched together. (Yes, you heard me right, kitchener stitched together.)

It will be a great adventure knitting this. Actually, the motifs aren't that difficult and the pattern quickly commits to memory. It's the kitchener and the lace border that will be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

No comments: