A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Winter of the Cowl/Neckwarmer

Well, that settles it. In a random moment of interest, one of my kids asked me what I was knitting. When I answered, "a neckwarmer". She countered with, "another one?".

Considering that they don't pay too much attention to what I'm making, the fact that she noticed I was making another neckwarmer means two things. 1. that I've actually knit something in a style they like, and/or 2. I've knit so many that it's caused it to register in their brains!

I can't help it, I really like all the new cowl patterns out there. They are great for instant gratification and relatively mindless knitting. Also, I enjoy wearing them. They are not the same commitment as a scarf. (I realize that may sound weird). It's also a great way to make use of the single skeins I buy because "I must have them" in the moment.

This winter's parade of neckwarmers:
Harmonia's Rings Cowl by Sivia Harding knit in Rowan Lima.
Infinite Cabled Cowl by Dina Mor knit in Lobster Pot Worsted Cashmere.
Same cowl knit in Tahki Torino (this one was a gift).
#11 Eyelet Cowl by Cathy Carron from the Vogue Knitting Holiday 2009 knit in Tahki Presto

Cabled Mock Capelet by Dina Mor knit in Lana Grossa Nuvola held triple.
Ok, so maybe when I list them all in succession, it is a lot. But then a customer came into Knitting Central wearing this Chickadee Cowl by Kirsten Kapur and she knit it in Misti Alpaca Hand Painted Chunky. Danni and I both have that yarn in our stash, and it was really cute.

Also, on Ravelry, Julianne Smith designed the Burberry Inspired Cowl Neck Scarf. I've admired that since I saw it in Instyle magazine.
So maybe I'll knit a few more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm finally coming out of the voyeuristic shadow. I'm here to gush. All your cowls came out beautifully! I most like that you have versions for different moods. Also, that gorgeous red lace Collezione number is mahvelous. Hope you had a holiday night on the town in it. :) best, Suzanna