A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rhinebeck 2008 Revisited

So with September arriving and the amazing new fall yarns and patterns arriving at Knitting Central, my mind drifts onto the Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Festival in New York. My sister and I went last year for the first time and loved it.

I realized that I haven't done a single thing with all the wonderful must have's of last year's trip. I rifled through my stash and found this sock yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts.
There have been a lot of great new sock patterns out in the past few months. I got down to swatching and started with a #1 since I knit on the loose side. I was aiming at a pattern with a gauge of 34 sts/4" and was getting 28 sts/4". I had to call Elizabeth to borrow a #00 (she and Mary are the only people I know who have needles that small). With the 00, I made it to 30 sts/4". I don't think there are needles small enough for me to get 34 sts/4".
Now with swatch completed I'm going to go through my collection of sock books and individual patterns and see what works with the gauge I'm getting.
I also found a bag of roving to make needle felted pumpkins. I was infatuated with the demonstration and had to have it. So that's on my agenda too. Mind you I've never done any needle felting before. I will be so psyched if I get pumpkins made in time for the pumpkin season. It would be so unlike me!

No comments: