A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Unlike Reversible Cabled Scarf



Last night I took a class at Knitting Central with Iris Schreier (of Artyarns) for an "Unlike Reversible Cabled Scarf". The scarf is based on the techniques in her new book, Iris Schreier's Reversible Knits: Creative Techniques for Knitting Both Sides Right. The pink scarf was Iris' sample. She knit it with 5-ply Cashmere and Beaded Pearl & Sequins.



We needed 2 different yarns, preferably in different fibers. I brought a light green Silk Pearl skein with me to match (or more appropriately, mismatch) with another yarn.

After discussing it with the "village" I ended up with this pretty kelly green skein of Pearl Rhapsody. It is so not purple! It feels strange every time I look at this green scarf!
Iris was a great teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed the class. We were double knitting with different cables on each side.
It was so much fun taking a class with the women I work with. Between the charts and all the different cable crosses, it was a challenge to get it straight. As Laura said, there were "dangerous crossings" with rapids underneath. I'll enjoy sharing progress on the scarf with them.

When I teach, the students often repeat the instructions out loud to themselves as they work. I don't interrupt them because I know it helps the learning process. We were no different, although we made the mistake of listening to what eachother were saying too. Needless to say we got a little turned around.

No comments: