A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Deadlines and Commitments


What to leave in and what to leave out. Since April, my knitting has been a mixture of deadlines and commitments with a few fun quick knits interspersed. That's not to say I didn't enjoy knitting the commitments, just that they had deadlines. Since I rarely knit in a monogamous fashion, there was overlap.


It started out with the Easy Folded Poncho shop sample in Juniper Moon Farm Zooey (DK: 60% Cotton, 40% Linen / Flax, 284 yards). A lovely mindless knit, it doesn't get much easier than this poncho. And as often happens, I liked the sample so much, I bought the yarn to make one for myself. Stockinette fabric (to me) can be very elegant in its simplicity and I love ponchos.


Next there were two accessories for Tahki Stacy Charles for the fall. They are cabled beauties and I look forward to knitting my self a set.


I knit the Weekender in Juniper Moon Farm Neve (Worsted: 100% Cotton, 222 yards) for the first Weekender Class at Westport Yarns.


I have an internal rule, if I wear a sample from the shop more than three times, I knit one for myself. That happened with Alfama knit with Berroco Regatta (Bulky: 100% Cotton, 164 yards). This knit up in no time. This was a fun (very quick knit). The yarn is a tape and has very interesting colorways.


With two weddings this summer, I was under the gun to knit garters. I knit up the first one and brought it to the bride's shower to test the size. Since then I finished it and mailed it off. Now I'm furiously knitting my daughter's garter. Think teeny tiny needles and laceweight yarn 😒.


For the shop's trunk show with Yarn Catcher, I designed a one skein wonder, Read Between the Lines. An asymmetrical scarf in Yarn Catcher Sock (Fingering: 75% 4 ply Meirno, 25% Nylon, 463 yards). It's a suitable for adventurous advanced beginners and above. I love Yarn Catchers dyeing, really fun combinations of color.

 

While feeling a break in the commitment tide, I cast on for my Banana Leaf Duster Vest in Juniper Moon Farm Neve (Worsted: 100% Cotton, 222 yards) in an uncharacteristic olive green. I designed the Vest to be knit in one piece ~ I love the cable details (if I do say so myself).

© Andrea Mowry

The break was fleeting as I cast on for another Weekender Sweater for a shop sample in Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (Worsted: 100% Wool - Targhee-Columbia, 140 yards). I've taught this sweater as a class three times at Westport Yarns with a fourth starting soon! It's a great mix of sophisticated knitting techniques and simplicity.

© Amy Christoffers

I squeezed in another east, fun, and quick knit with Vacanza a summer scarf knit with Berroco Medina (DK: 37% Cotton, 36% Acrylic, 27% Rayon, 295 yards). Mine was knit with a more characteristic color-way (for me) blues and purples.


As I reflect on this post, I look back and think, that's a lot of knitting. Seriously, a lot. No rest for the weary~ there are two more baby gifts to knit for fall babies and fall samples on the horizon. Good thing I like what I do!


No comments: