A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

A Study in Contrasts


Thursday (January 4) for the Northeast meant a blizzard. For me, it was a beautiful (if chilly) day in Florida.

Friday amidst forecasts of record low temperatures, I headed back to Connecticut for a week of teaching ~ reconnecting with my students, co-workers, friends and of course Thing #1 and Tucker.

During our descent into NY, we experienced significant turbulence.  When we landed a much deserved round of applause went up by the passengers.


As we were preparing to leave, the man next to me said, "During the turbulence, I was looking any/everywhere for something to hold on to. There you were knitting away. I fly often, maybe I should take up knitting!" I replied, "Yes, you should, it has a great calming affect. Although, in all honesty, if you looked closely, you would have seen white knuckles gripping the knitting needles."


While in Connecticut, I enjoyed wearing my hand-knit winter woollies. Each day meant a new ensemble ~ right down to my hand-knit socks. From top to bottom: Rock the Pompom Hat in The Periwinkle Sheep Merino Aran (Aran: 100% Superwash Merino, 180 yards). Infinite Cabled Cowl in Lobster Pot Cashmere (Worsted: 100% Cashmere, 100 yards). Customfit Pullover in Rowan Lima (Worsted: 84% Alpaca, 8% Merino, 8% Nylon, 120 yards). 2 @ time Toe Up Socks ~ Magic Loop (a soon to be published pattern) in Zen Serenity 20 (Fingering: 70% Merino, 20% Cashmere goat, 10% Nylon, 400 yards).


I got to catch up with Tucker who kept me warm while watching movies with Thing #1.


 and he kept me company at the table while I enjoyed my morning coffee and the snowy view. I think he is giving me the "hairy eyeball". He might have wanted a cup of tea.


Now, ten days later, I'm back in Florida enjoying the beautiful, temperate climate.

Apart from the severe contrast in temperatures, I noticed a major contrast in lifestyles. No real surprise there. While living in Westport, I am working at Westport Yarns, teaching, and designing. I am the "city" that never sleeps. I thought nothing of setting up a (visiting) schedule for myself where on some days I ate three meals at the shop. It was not a big departure from how I schedule my normal routine.

Then we come to Florida, to a period of time where I have minimal commitments. I found that I was sleeping, breathing, knitting (more) and even exercising. I didn't even mind normal mundane household chores.


My goal is to figure out some middle ground between the two ways of life. We will see how I fare. It is a challenge. Harry, on the other hand, has it all figured out. 

No comments: