A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Friday, July 21, 2017

Rock the Pompom


There is usually a back story to my designs. In the case of Rock the Pompom, it was kismet. It happened while I was at VKLive in New York City in January.


As I cruised around the marketplace on the first day, I happened upon a skein of Hedgehog Fibres Aran that really caught my eye.  It was completely outside my "color box". I didn't buy it right away because I wasn't sure what I would do with it. (Just to be clear, I don't often show that kind of restraint in a marketplace full of yarny goodness.)
 
 

Somewhere along the way I saw an awesome pompom ~ again, completely outside my "color box". Again, I didn't buy it right away.  After all, this was the first day of the marketplace and I needed to pace myself.


Later on I had an epiphany ~ it could have happened in the shower or come to me in a dream. These colors matched a new winter coat I had bought for an upcoming trip to Iceland. I could knit a hat and top it with the pompom.


I've never considered my self a pompom wearing kind of gal, however, this pompom was wicked cool. I set about finding a stitch pattern that would show the lovely variegated yarn in it's best light. 

The hat is designed to be comfortably snug at the brim without squishing your hair so it fits more loosely than the average beanie. I have curly hair and did not want to have severe hat head after wearing the hat. These are the things I considered while designing the hat. One size fits most head circumferences (21 - 23").


Materials: 180 yards of heavy worsted/aran weight yarn (4-4.5 sts/1"). The sample hat was knit with Hedgehog Fibres Merino Aran (100% Merino, 182 yards, Pheasant colorway) and Lana Grossa Fell pompom

This pattern is free through Monday, July 31, then it will be $5.00. In exchange for it being free, please add it to your Ravelry favorites and queue. Click here to find it on Ravelry.

No comments: