A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Hand Knit Holiday

Bitemoji courtesy of Thing #2.

I feel it is my "knitterly duty" (to offer) to knit my family gifts for the holidays.  I would not be heartbroken if they said now.  This year everyone said yes.


My oldest let me know early enough in the year that she completely forgot about it and kept sending me other things to knit. Those were interesting conversations. Every time she sent me a picture I would gently remind her that I was knitting her a sweater already.  She would ask for a picture to remember and say, "Oh, yeah - I like that one".  Good answer wouldn't you say? Yarn: Berroco Cirrus (Bulky: 42% Mohair, 40% Nylon, 18% Wool - Merino, 114 yards).


Her boyfriend got a striped hat, a new version of my Flap Happy Hat that I am testing out.


Yarn: Cascade 128 Superwash (Bulky: 100% Superwash Merino Wool, 128 yards).


Joe got socks.  The socks I knit him in Berroco Comfort fit him like gym socks and he's a happy camper (Worsted: 50% Nylon, 50% Acrylic, 210 yards).


Thing #1 got a Tucker Hat  knit with Cascade Spuntaneous (Super Bulky: 100% Merino, 109 yards).


Then as a surprise a Mermaid Blanket in progress, knit with Caron Simply Soft Paints (Aran: 100% Acrylic, 200 yards). Yes, that's right, I wrapped it up (still on the needles). I couldn't finish it because she lives at home and every time she came into the room I had to hide it from her.  Once I measured her while she was sleeping for the length!


Thing #2 asked me for a bulky shrug about a week before the holidays. She prefaced the request with, "Is it too late to ask for something knit?". How could I say no?  At any rate, she knew it wouldn't be ready for the Holidays. The yarn is Cascade 128 Superwash.


As for me, my family and friends know me well.  My gifts encompassed a few of my favorite things: knitting bags/accessories, wine, the color purple, and dogs (and not necessarily in that order).


A few more of my favorites things.

No comments: