A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Blocking is like teething

I'm a note taker.  This habit goes way back and I learned it from my mother.

She has told me that I came home with my first note after a day at preschool.

Me: "I took notes at school today."

Mom: (looking at lines of scribbling) "What does it say?"

Me: "You know I can't read."

Rather than writing notes on lots of little pieces of paper, I'm attempting to carry a notebook with me and write them there.  I say "attempt" because I am terrific at creating organizational plans and not so terrific at keeping them.

I thought I would share with you my notes for the week. Spoiler alert, some are actually about things other than knitting.

Blocking is like teething.  Stay with me here.  When a baby is little, and has the slightest runny nose, pink cheeks, is irritable, etc, as mothers we often say - "oh, that... she's just teething".  As if any small deviation from the norm can be blamed on teething.  It is the perfect scapegoat. 

Blocking your finished knits is supposed to smooth out imperfections and remove all manner of (knitted) sins. Here we say, "oh, that... it will block out".

Books (to listen to on audible)
The Wedding Gown
Invention of Wings
The War that Saved My Life
A Man Called Ove

On Bravo 
Odd Mom Out 

Books made into a movie and were actually good
The Help

Netflix
Lilyhammer

Food
Martel
Cinch Gourmet Food Market

Products Discovered
Edinburgh Imports stuff for toy making
Fringe Supply Co. Field Bag for knitting. 

Places to see, Things to do
Kaia Yoga - I really need to get back to yoga.
Connecticut Wine Trail (no connection to doing yoga)
RJ Julia Bookstore in Madison, CT

Knitting Misadventures
Calann told us how she was knitting with her double points (using 4 out of the 5 in a package) when she heard a clinking/rattling/falling sound.  One of her double pointed needles had fallen down the air handler.  Her husband was a good sport and looked for it to no avail. (I hope I got that part of the story right, if not, it sounds good.) Luckily, she mostly uses 4 out of the 5.


Helen played a game of yarn chicken with her French Cancan.Yarn chicken is when you begin to suspect that you won't have enough yarn to finish your project.  You keep knitting hoping against hope as you watch the ball of yarn dwindle, that you will have enough.

Class Stats
  
I'm excited to say that I have 10 people knitting socks, 2 @ time, toe up magic loop. 


(If you are interested in the pattern, message me.  I'll let you know when it is up on Ravelry.)


And there are eleven people knitting the Elephant.

Just Keep Knitting





 

 

No comments: