A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Call me Poncho-villa

Twice a year I go through my projects/stash/favorites to see what I can marry together and knit for the upcoming season.  It's like going through your clothes to see what you'll wear/donate.

I realized that I am in a poncho state of mind.  Ponchos are great, they are a form of easy dressing that suits my lifestyle.  I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl.  Slip on a poncho and now I'm stylin'.

Ponchos have come a long LONG was from the 70's.  They are chic and fashion forward.

First we have the #409 Cool Hemp Ponchette that I have knit 3 times! One for me (until my mother liked it - Hi Mom), one for the shop in Rowan Softknit Cotton  (Worsted: 92% Cotton, 8% Nylon, 115 yards), and a replacement for me. I think I'm "over" this one. (Side note, my sister and one of mom's book club friends wants to knit it too! It's a very compelling ponchette.)

Here (in no particular order) are the ponchos on my list to make:
photo credit: © Katia
I actually found the yarn the #26 Air Lux calls for while in Florida at a shop called The Knitters Nook. My friend, Michelle, and I are going to knit it together.  I went with an usual color, kind of a rose, charcoal gray-ish metallic color. Lace Lux (Lace: 67% Rayon, 33% Merino, 339 yards).

  
Lefty, is a sample I tried on at Knit or Knot (also in Florida).  The pattern calls for Shibui Twig (DK: 46% Flax, 42% Silk, 12% Wool, 190 yards). I went out of my color comfort zone with this one (they didn't have any of my usual go-to colors).


Of course I'm going to knit the Centerport Cropped Poncho (my design) in Aruba (Aran: 80% Cotton, 20% Linen, 98 yards).  I chose a deep Navy.


Mirage is knit either with a DK weight or light fingering weight held double.  I'm knitting it with Alicia (Lace: 100% Flax, 180 yards).  Ok, I admit it.  THIS one is in purple.  I'm definitely smitten with this pattern.

 

Lastly, I may knit Not Just Plain Jane's Mystery Project from a couple of years ago.  I made it in a worsted weight cotton.  This time I'm going to make it in a DK to bring the size down.  Mine is long in the picture like Michelle's, I think I have the end twisted to the back in the picture. I loved knitting this, it was pure fun. Tosh DK (DK:  100% Merino, 225 yards).  The colorway is called Whiskey Barrel.

There are others that I like, they are still in the queue somewhere: Etched Rio Wrap, Easy Folded Poncho with cowl.

Then there are two that are works in progress on hold during the Spring/Summer: Cirrus and the Two Harbors Poncho.

Wow.  it looks like a lot more ponchos then I thought when I see it written down. Time will tell what I actually get accomplished.  Let the season of the poncho begin.
 

No comments: