A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Saturday, March 12, 2016

What to knit now?

March is an interesting Month in New England.  On one hand, Spring officially begins March 21 so there is hope.  On the other hand, it can be truly wintry.  Hence the phrase in like a Lion out like a Lamb.

Personally, I think of March as the last extension of winter with some spring-like days scattered throughout.

The big question is, what do you cast on for in March?  That last winter sweater?  A woolly accessory? A spring sweater?  What season are we supposed to knit for?

I decided to forgo casting on for another winter sweater and cast on for a couple of accessories that could bridge the gap into spring.


Shine, my travel project, knit with Dragonfly Fibers Pixie (Fingering: 100% Wool, 475 yards). Hindsight always being 20/20, I wish I had made it wider. This was a stash project from yarn I bought at the Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Festival in 2014.  The red will brighten up the last days of winter.


Misty Scarf, knit with Rowan Kidsilk Haze Stripe (Lace: 70% Mohair, 30% Silk).  Very easy to knit, it's intarsia, not short rows.  Each row I am moving one color one stitch over (either right or left).  This will be a gorgeous wrap that I could probably wear year round.


Icicle Scarf , knit with Zen Serenity 20 (Fingering: 70% Merino, 20% Cashmere, 10% Nylon, 400 yards).  After Exploration Station I have been itching to up my game in Brioche.  I knit this when no one is around.  I'm also putting in lifelines after every 20 row repeat (which equals 40 actual knit rows).  Love, Love, Love.


Lastly, the Cirrus Poncho, a perfect transition garment.  Whether I finish it in time to transition from Winter to Spring or from Summer to Fall is anyone's guess. This is knit with two Shibui yarns held double: Pebble (Fingering: 48% Silk, 36% Merino, 16% Cashmere, 224 yards) and Silk Cloud (Lace: 60% Mohair, 40% Silk, 330 yards).

Next, I'll likely cast on for a lightweight sweater or poncho. 

What's going on your hooks and needles?  Comment or Share, I love to hear about different patterns and ideas.

No comments: