A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

How do you choose your projects?

What makes us (and when I say us, I mean me) choose the projects we choose?

1. Deadline oriented? Gift or want to wear new knit at a planned event.
2. The new and exciting sample and/or yarn at your local yarn store.
3.  A yarn/project calling to you from your stash.
4.  All my friends are knitting it.
5. Fits certain personal parameters.

Here are the projects and their underlying motivation. I've also started to tag this year's projects (on Ravelry) with the tags stash or yarn2016. I'm curious to see the year end tally.

© Tahki Stacy Charles, Inc.
Essence Pullover in Tahoe (Aran: 32% Nylon, 27% Wool, 25% Alpaca, 16% Yak, 179 yards). Deadline oriented. Tagged: yarn2016.

I've knit this sweater three times already: one for Tahki, one for Westport Yarns, and one for my daughter.  I love the design and the yarn.  It was time.  It's slightly deadline motivated as I'd love to finish it to wear to the Westport Yarns Mohonk Retreat...this weekend. I seem to thrive on 11th hour knitting.

I wanted to knit it longer and went a bit too far.  We were binge watching Dr. Who on Netflix because they lost the license and Dr. Who was coming off Netflix.  I got carried away and kept knitting.  For now, I'll knit the sleeves then rip out the bottom to where I'd like it and reknit it. 
Shine-3988web_small2
© Janina Kallio

Shine in Dragonfly Fibers Pixie (Fingering: 100% Wool, 475 yards). A yarn/project calling to me from my stash. Tagged: stash.
 

My sister knit this and enjoyed it.  I'm into red lately. For now this is small and portable.

Misty_20255x340_small2
© Rowan Yarns LTD, 2011

Misty Scarf in Rowan Kidsilk Haze Stripe (Lace: 70% Mohair, 30% Silk, 460 yards). This project falls into two categories: New and exciting yarn and a yarn/project calling to me from my stash. Tagged: stash, yarn2016

 

I've had a skein of Kidsilk Haze Stripe in my stash for years.  When it first came out I was smitten with the Misty Scarf.  I loved the use of the two variegated yarns in this pattern. We recently got in Kidsilk Haze Stripe at Westport Yarns.  It was meant to be. I bought the second skein and cast on. 

I have added an i-cord edging and I'll add an i-cord edging to the cast on and bind off.  The movement of the colors makes me happy.

Screen_shot_2014-11-05_at_11
© Sixth&Spring Books/Nancy Marchant
Icicle in two colors of Zen Serenity 20 (Fingering: 70% Superwash Merino, 20% Cashmere, 10% Nylon, 420 yards). This one falls under a yarn/project calling to me from my stash. Tagged: stash.


After knitting the brioche section of Exploration Station, I wanted to knit more brioche.  Brioche seems to attract the same night/day emotions as bobbles, namely, love it/hate it.

Shibui-knits-cirrus-1710-fjord_small2
© Shibui Knits
Next up in the queue is Cirrus, knit with two Shibui yarns held together. Pebble (Light Fingering: 48% Silk, 36% Merino, 16% Cashmere, 224 yards) and Silk Cloud (Fingering: 60% Mohair, 40% silk, 330 yards). This falls under the "everyone is knitting" it (at Westport Yarns) category. 


The final tipping point was when Eleanor from Tuesday Stitch and Chat bought the blueprint colorway.  That did it. I had to have that color. Tagged: yarn2016.


No comments: