A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Finishing Mode

I'm in finishing mode.  It's a rare mood that has crept upon me like a fog. I feel the need to finish anything on my needles.  Usually I have startitus, where I want to cast on for new and exciting projects.

So far this is what I've finished in the past week:


Customfit Over-sized Sweater.  Amy Herzog has come out with several new design options and I was curious about the straight silouette option. What's really interesting (to me) is that often in an over-sized sweater you have a drop shoulder and a straight sleeve.  In this pattern it was a set in sleeve so the shaping for the armholes was huge.  I was really nervous about how it would pan out. In the end, it's exactly what I wanted.  Because of the set in sleeves, the sweater fits my shoulders perfectly and the sweater doesn't look schleppy.  I'm very pleased with the result.  I chose hemmed trim (another new option) which I also really like.

The yarn is Cephalopod Travellor (DK: 100% Merino, 280 yards). I had five skeins that were widely different even though I got them at the same time.  (Is it wrong that in my mind's eye I can still remember discovering them?) I alternated between two skeins every two rows for each piece to avoid pooling.


Two of the skeins were less colorful so I used them for the back.  I won't see it. Then I used the two brighter skeins for the front and the leftovers for the sleeves.


Next up, Adama Cowl, a store sample and upcoming class at Westport Yarns.  The yarn is Plymouth Arequipa (Worsted: 90% Merino, 10% Silk, 218 yards).


My purse project was another Fallen Halo in Artyarns Cashmere 5 and Cashmere Glitter.  Pretty in Pink don't you think?


This all being done, I decided to resurrect a project long in hibernation.  Namely, my Rockefeller Shawl.  I put it away in 2012 because I wasn't sure I liked the striped wings on the ends.  You may be wondering why I would knit a project if I wasn't sure I liked one of the design elements.  Originally this was a Mystery Knit-a-long.  I thought maybe I would change it which led to complete inaction.  Because as the kids would say, it was "effort". It's ridiculous, as often is the case, how little there was left to knit. 


I knit a new hat for Joe.  I changed up my Flap Happy Hat a bit.  The yarn is Plymouth Merino Select (Worsted: 100% Merino Superwash, 218 yards).  Thing #1 ended up claiming the hat.  Don't ask.


Where does that leave me?  Oh, a modified version of my Add Yarn & Knit cowl in Madelinetosh A.S.A.P (Super Bulky: 100% Merino, 90 yards).  A scarf version.  I can't even leave my own patterns alone without modifying.

Enough writing - back to finishing mode before the feeling fades. It is a capricious mood.






No comments: