A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

It's a family affair


Over the past few years of family parties, my cousins have taken up knitting and crochet.  I can't tell you (well, actually I can) the particular joy I get from my family bringing their projects to our family parties.

It started in the summer. The summer party is at my house. I knit and my sister, Nancy knits. Last year Leslie learned to knit and was working on a shell top. Who knows what Nancy and I were working on.

This summer Leslie was knitting a baby sweater for her granddaughter. Rinda brought crochet swatches she was playing with. Again, I don't know what Nancy and I were working on. At the time, I wasn't planning this post/

We planned a cousins sleepover which we called a yarnover. It was, in a word, AWESOME.


I taught Leslie how to work a 3-needle bind off for the shoulders of the baby sweater for her granddaughter.

Rinda asked me to find a project for her, we settled on a crocheted baby hat for her niece.


Nancy was working on Shine in Dragonfly Fibers Pixie. Want to laugh? As I'm posting this and linking the pattern, I'm thinking - I like that pattern.  I may have to make that! 


While my sister and cousins were visiting, they came to the shop for Sit'n Knit at Westport Yarns. Everyone came away with a project. 


Leslie is combining Tempo (Worsted: 51% Cotton, 37% Acrylic, 12% Nylon, 114 yards) and Fuji (Worsted: 38% Silk, 25% Cotton, 15% Nylon, 15% Rayon, 125 yards) in a bulky cowl pattern.

Rinda began the crocheted baby hat.

Nancy picked up a skein of Meadowcroft Paleo-Indian Woolens (Worsted: 100% Merino, 218 yards).
.
Then this weekend, when we were celebrating my Uncle's 92nd birthday, we convened to knit/crochet.  I love that they save problems/things for me to do with them.


Leslie learned how to set in the sleeve and work the mattress stitch.

Rinda is knitting the same bulky cowl as Leslie.  Sorry, I don't remember the pattern name.


Rinda had finished crocheting the baby hat so we tried it on Lexi to check the size.


Then I affixed the pom-pom. Baby and hat are adorable, in that order.  


What's nice is that my other cousins, are aware and interested as well.  My cousin, Michael, admired the top I was wearing. We had a whole discussion on the differences between knitting and crochet. He thought the top was crocheted, since it was lacy.  To his experience, crochet was open and knitting was solid.

I'd show you what I knit, however, I was drinking a little bit and the knitting came out wicked wonky.  This is also probably why I don't remember what Nancy and I were knitting this summer.  At any rate, I ripped out all I knit the next day.  C'est la vie.





No comments: