A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Don't fly in the face of the Knitting Gods

The gauge play continues. 


I just finished knitting the Bandana Cowl in Malabrigo Worsted (Aran: 100% Merino, 210 yards).  The pattern called for a #10 needle.  Since I've been knitting closer to gauge when I knit English style, I decided to (uncharacteristically) cast on without knitting a gauge swatch.  I know, I've shocked you, haven't I?

When I finished, the cowl felt a little small.  Not much, a little.  I measured the gauge and found that I was knitting at 4.5 sts/1" versus the gauge of 4 sts/1".  What irony, if when I knit English I might need to go up a needle size.  The Knitting Gods have a sick sense of humor.


I also only used half a skein to knit the Bandana cowl.  If you're looking for a quick knit with aran/bulky yarn, this is a good one. As I'm reading this, and linking to the pattern and all that happy stuff, I realized that I didn't knit the beginning border in garter (as written). I wondered why it rolled in and was figuring ways to fix it.

Big sigh.  Well, I think the Knitting Gods have made their point.  When you skip the gauge swatch you roll knitting roulette. So, as I write this post it becomes clear that I'm going to rip it out and knit it over again with the following adjustments: #10.5 needle and garter border (as written).  Selective reading strikes again.

No comments: