A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, October 27, 2014

Rhinebeck 2014 ~ Day One


We got to the fairgrounds about 30 minutes before the gate opened.  
The line looks worse than it felt.



Jenny found us while we were waiting. We were in by 9:15 

The IT girl this year was Miss Babs booth.  I say the IT girl because in the years I have been going, there is a new "flavor of the festival" every few years.  Even though we were there 15 minutes after opening, the line to purchase was ran outside the building and people were holding armloads of yarn.

Inside the booth, well, that's if you could get inside the booth, people were crammed in like sardines.  Since this was our planned first stop, we persevered.  We wanted to see what the fuss was about.  Last year I bought yarn to make Brickless and Boxy.  I did make Brickless and loved working with YOWZA.  We each bought color packs.

Below are some of our pictures from the day. I like to think of it as the pageantry of Rhinebeck.  At the end of the post, I have a link to my ravelry favorites with what we saw over the weekend.



You can't see it from here, but the mermaid had dangly earrings.  No mermaid should be without them.

For the partygoer who would like to be handfree, wine cozy necklace thingys.



This would be a wonderful life motto.

 I ran into many Westport Yarns friends.

We had a Westport Yarns meet up.
I don't know about this, Nancy just met Jenny today and she looks wayyy happier in her picture with Jenny, then me.  Just saying. ;)

It was great to see Ann (who Laura and I used to work with when we were Knitting Central). Yes, there is something on her fact, a butterfly face painting.  The girl knows how to enjoy a festival.

 We enjoyed the fall foliage even though it was a cloudy day.

I had been lamenting the day before that I didn't have a good tote bag for carrying around at Rhinebeck. No, don't even say it.  For those that know me, I have MANY bags.  They just weren't right AND I left them at home.  Rhinebeck had a terrific tote bag with great pockets and this year's logo.



 Nancy and I ran into a dear family friend.  How we always manage to just "run into" each other is a beautiful thing.


We stopped by to see Cara Romano's booth which was hopping!  She's going to be showing her terrific jewelry at Westport Yarns on Thursday, November 6, from 6-8.  If you missed her here, make sure to come by.  Her textile metal jewelry with fiber is truly unique.



We saw a man in a kilt with great cabled kilt socks. It's a thing, check it out.


As we were leaving we saw this woman playing the bagpipes.  Beautifully.  Because, what better way to unwind than walk around parking lot playing the bagpipes? If you've never been to Rhinebeck, let me explain, it takes a minimum of an hour to get out of the parking lot and through 1-2 streets to the main routes out.


Well, I did ask the question (what better way to unwind...)?After passing the strolling musician, we came upon these two ladies, tailgating.  We thought this was BRILLIANT.  We surreptitiously took a picture because we were SO doing this next time.  They caught us, we all had a good laugh and chatted for a few minutes before we headed to our car.  We were about to pull out of the parking lot when they invited us to join them.  How awesome is that??? They were fully prepared with Halloween wine goblets, table clothes, candles, blankets, and chairs.  Thankfully I had some nuts in the car.  I had to bring a hostess gift.  We spent a delightful two hours and left there having made two new friends.  That to me is one of the joys of Rhinebeck.  The people you meet are terrific.

Here is the link to the patterns we found interesting.

No comments: