A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, August 25, 2014

Into the Way Back Machine

When I packed up my winter woolies for the warmer months, I was completely awed by the number of accessories I have knit.  Even if I discount the ones I no longer fancy, there are still an inordinate number.

This realization had a big impact on me.  I've spent the past few months knitting sweaters.


Raiun was knit with Cephalopod Bugga (Sport: 70% Merino, 20% Cashmere, 10% Nylon, 400 yards) - I used 2.5 skeins. This was my first experience knitting a sweater with a fine gauge yarn.  I realy like the result, it's such a nice weight to wear. 

Click here to read my project notes on Ravelry if you're interested in knitting Raiun. The pattern is very well written and I am very happy with the result.


I finished the long awaited (but not promised) sweater for Thing #1, literally at the 11th hour so she could wear it to a Bar Mitzvah.  I didn't realize until we were in the parking lot of the Temple that I missed weaving in a few ends.  Such is life.

It fit well and she was happy with it, that's all that matters.  This was a personal design and since I did not take good enough notes to recreate it,  it is a one of a kind ~ just like Thing #1.


This is a CustomFit sweater design.  "CustomFit is a custom sweater pattern generator. It takes your body measurements, your gauge, and creates a new sweater pattern that fits you perfectly - no modifications required"; it was created by Amy Herzog. We signed on at Westport Yarns to offer the CustomFit program.  I'll go into more detail in a later post.  Suffice to say it is awesome!


Michelle got me interested in knitting Davis. Our plan was to knit it together.  We swatched and found that we didn't like how the fabric looked at the gauge listed in the pattern.  Instead we swatched until we liked the feel of the fabric and then adjusted which size pattern we knit based on our gauge. I knit a bigger size at 19 sts/4” to achieve the smallest actual size. I’ve bought a couple of extra skeins to account for the change in gauge. It worked out perfectly.  The other modification I made was a smaller rolled neck.  The yarn is Elsbeth Lavold Hempathy (DK: 41% Cotton, 34% Hemp, 25% Rayon, 153 yards).


Lastly, I knit my Stella Dolman Top in Cobasi Plus (Worsted:  55% Cotton, 21% Nylon, 16% Bamboo, 8% Silk, 177 yards).  I wanted to have a casual version.  This yarn was very interesting to knit with.  It totally holds it's shape.


 This blend of fibers and yarn weight was the perfect sweater while on vacation this weekend. 

What's next?  Baby and holiday gifts are in the queue.

No comments: