A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Help Me, I've got startitus~Redux

This is what happens when it's late and you think you hit the save button, and publish instead.  I meant to include pictures!

Fall is looming. Even though it's still summer, the fall knitting magazines and more importantly - fall yarns.

Inspiration is everywhere. While surfing the "what's hot now" page on Ravelry (something I do every morning over my coffee) I fell in love with the Song of the Sea infinity scarf.


The designer's photos were very compelling, especially the one that had a scarf picture along side a picture of the sea.  This scarf had to be knit in blue.  I went into Yarnia (no secret wardrobe entrance for you Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe fans).  I have all my unassigned fingering and lace yarn in one storage container. 


I found the perfect skein, MCS Heavy Lace by Fiber Optic Yarns (Heavy Lace: 80% Merino, 10% Silk, 10% Cashmere, 625 yards). My sister and I both bought a skein of this at Rhinebeck in 2011!

I am desperately trying to discipline myself to finishing the projects on hand.  There is Thing #2's blanket and two samples for upcoming classes; these take priority.  It's not that I'm not enjoying them, it's just that there are so many sparkly other things to knit. I did manage to sneak in one personal project under the banner of class preparation though.


 In preparation for my upcoming Brioche series, I decided on a Brioche sampler pillow to teach single and two color flat Brioche.  I'm using two shades of Ultrabulky by Artyarns (Bulky: 100% Merino, 110 yards). If time permits, I want to add circular Brioche.


Now I must digress for a minute.  Easily three years ago I bought a gorgeous (when are they not?) skein of cashmere from Just Our Yarn at Rhinebeck (Worsted: 100% Cashmere, 200 yards).  There was no plan for it, it just called out to me.  It has been patiently waiting for the right project.  Cashmere is like that, very discerning.  It is perfect for the circular Brioche.  I am loving how it's coming out, the shades of blue are exquisite and the Brioche makes the cashmere even more squishy and soft. I'm using the Stormy Morningside Neckwarmer pattern.


I discovered a great, new notion: Circular Stitch Holders from Clover. It has a small, knitting needle-ish tip at one end and a stopper at the other.  I wanted to see how the cowl was going to fit, so I put it on this stitch holder to try on.  Very convenient and easy to transport the stitches on and off the needle (versus waste yarn). You can see the stopper at the bottom of the picture.

Okay, now you have the intended pictures.  It's a pretty morning, so I'm off to sit and knit with my coffee and the boys.










No comments: