A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Back to Basics

Back to basics with my fab four projects. In January, I talked about working within four projects :

1 project from stash yarns. 
1 project that's been hibernating: frog or finish.
1 project with new yarn. 
1 project that is a design or class prep.   


1.  STASH YARN: I really got caught up with the Not Just Plain Jane Mystery KAL.  It was addicting.  Even though I finished it yesterday, I am contemplating knitting another one.  I know, right? When/if I do make it again, I will knit it with thinner yarn to make it smaller and use the Cascade Venezia Sport.  For a "Jane" pattern, it was not difficult. This isn't a picture of the finished "?". I forgot to have someone take a picture for me.  Tomorrow is another day.

I (mostly) like the yarn I used, Be Sweet Cotton Candy (Worsted: 100% Cotton, 130 yards). My gauge was just so loose with the cotton that I was on a #3 and it still wasn't really tight enough.  My "?" would've been a little smaller and I would've preferred that. I have to talk to Jane about giving this piece a real name.





New stash yarn project: Dreambird KAL. This pattern fascinates me, it's a technique called Swing Knitting. I'm just finishing the first feather and don't have the hang of it yet.  I'm knitting with Silk Garden Sock, (Sport: 40% Wool, 25% Silk, 25% Nylon (Polyamide), 10% Mohair, 328 yards) and Cascade Heritage Silk (Fingering: 85% Merino, 15% Silk, 437 yards).

 

2.  CLASS PROJECT:  #26 Cropped Jacket: I am enjoying knitting this, and it will be a class this fall at Westport Yarns. The yarn is Noro Silk Garden Sock.  It is worked by alternating two different colorways and employing the use of short rows.  I enjoy seeing the color contrast.  It's another "outside the box" type of pattern.


3. NEW YARN: Dowtown Cowl: This was an instant gratification knit.  I liked this as a summer scarf, the colors incorporate ones I can wear with colors I can't wear. The yarn is Trendsetter Orchidea (Aran: 42% cotton, 42% Acrylic, 16% Nylon, +/- 90 yards/skein). I like the pattern for it's simplicity and it is a good choice for variegated yarns.  Of course I knit it with a different weight yarn the pattern called for.


4. DESIGN PROJECT: I admit, I forgot about the hibernating project box.  I'll have to revisit it.  I'm designing a summer poncho for the store.  The yarn is Mirasol Nuna (Sport: 40% Silk, 40% Wool, 20% Bamboo, 191 yards).  I love knitting with this yarn.  it has great stitch definition and drapes beautifully.

But wait, there's more.  I cast on for a Linen Stitch Scarf.  After teaching 6 classes for this at Westport Yarns (there is a 7th class on the summer queue), I have yet to knit one for myself.

This will serve as a mindless knitting project.  I've had the yarn picked out for over a year, waiting with pattern and all, just waiting for the right moment.  That moment was Saturday night when we decided to go to the movies.  I needed something portable to knit before the movie started. This project would also fall under the stash yarn category.


Awww, they're holding paws. ;)




No comments: