A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Have yarn will travel

A recurring theme when I travel is that I think I spend more time on what projects to bring than clothes.  Tells you where my priorities lie.

I brought the Cup Cake Roll Neck Pullover, secret squirrelly design project, yarn for pretty twisted cuff, hibernating sock, and the never ending sweater my daughter swears I promised her.

We've had a couple of cloudy, chilly days.  What's a girl to do?  Go in search of local yarn stores of course. 

I always visit the Yarn Co (in Palm Desert) when I'm here, for years it was the only show in town.  Ruth's shop is bursting at the seams with yarn choices.  From Malabrigo and Noro to novelty and baby.  There are samples everywhere.  There were at least half a dozen women in the shop milling around, shopping, and joking with one another.  It was a completely welcoming place.  I love the energy here, they never disappoint.


I saw the One + One Hats book that I'm in and shared my pattern page with Ruth.  She made me feel like a such a big deal and honored me by asking me to sign her copy. The front page is signed by the author of the book, Iris Schreier.


I bought a skein of Noro Kirameki, (laceweight, 60% rayon,/25% nylon/10% wool/5% cashmere, 495 yards).  I know I have a skein of this at home and it may very well be the same colorway.  There are a number of patterns on Ravelry that take either one or two skeins.  There, I have rationalized that purchase. 


The second skein I bought was a new yarn from Trendsetter, Orchidea (aran weight, 42% cotton/42% acrylic, 16% nylon, 91 yards)  This yarn just made me happy.  I think I will make something "necklace-like" for the summer.  Ruth told me I was the first one to buy this yarn, it's hot off the press.  FYI, They are having a trunk show with Barry Klein of Trendsetter starting next Tuesday, February 26.


The second shop I visited is called Ewe 'n me (in La Quinta).  This is a new shop, only two years old.  When I called to check on their hours, they informed me that they have open knitting every day.  I replied, "I may have to visit twice then".


What a big, beautiful shop they have!  The walls are lined with cubbies full of fantastic yarns: Malabrigo, Hand Maiden Yarns, Araucania to name a few.  There were ladies sitting and knitting around a table in the center.  After making several circuits around the shop, I joined them at the table. The women were friendly and welcoming.  I love the camaraderie of a knitting circle.  

They told me about a KAL they are participating in on Ravelry,  and showed me the yarns they are knitting it with. I picked up some supplies I needed on the trip. 


The third shop I visited was called Harriet's Yarns (Palm Desert).  This store was arranged by color which always throws me off.  I like to see each yarn in all the colorways in one place.  I've seen this done in Florida too.  Visually, it's appealing, I just don't find it helpful when shopping. There was a wide variety of yarns and I found a couple of things I liked. 


I'm going to knit my All Wrapped Up capelet with Trendsetter Summit (aran weight, 44% wool/44% acrylic/12% nylon, 110 yards). I picked up Knitter's Magazine 109, Winter 2012, The Skirt Issue.  I'm toying with the idea of knitting a skirt.  Don't know why. 


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oooh - I love seeing travels to LYS. I was supposed to be in that very same area this week. It would have been very funny if we had run into each other on a yarn tour. :D Hope you had fun!

Anonymous said...

What a great Stitch and Chat today! I felt like I was right there with you, shopping, stitching and chatting and having fun. Thanks!
Jane