A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fab Four ~ Weekly Update


1.  Cup Cake Roll Neck Pullover: [Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash (worsted weight, 100% superwash wool, 220 yards)]. I've moved on from my erratic knitting on the back and completed the front.  Since I never leave well enough alone, I've made several pattern modifications.
  •  Rather than bind off and sew the shoulders, I worked three-needle bind-offs.  I left the last bind off stitch live and used it to to pick up the stitches around the neckline.  (I was pretty pleased with myself for that one).
  • Instead of knitting the neckline flat and sewing it closed, I knit it in the round.
  • I used Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off around the neck.  This is an incredible technique worth learning.  
  • After picking up the stitches for the sleeves, I joined in the round.
To avoid stripes with "jogs" in them, I am using the following technique for jogless stripes:                 
  • On color change rounds, change colors by knitting the first stitch of the new color as you usually would, then finish the rest of the stitches to the end of the round (with new color).
  • On the next round, slip the first stitch of the new color, then finish the rest of the stitches to the end of the round (with new color).
  • On every following round, knit every stitch as usual.
  • Worked like a charm.

2.  Secret Squirrelly Design Project:  Enough Said.



3. My hibernating project:  Ok, this week I at least familiarized myself with where I left off.  That's a step in the right direction. (Pun not intended, but a good one.)


4.  Warming up on the "project bench" is Pretty Twisted, a linen stitch cuff. I plan on using the leftover bits from the Big Fat Chain Lace Scarf.



No comments: