A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Who says you can't go back?

This morning I took out my Cinnie sweater and measured, because I was pretty sure I was at the length stated in the pattern.

Lo and behold I noticed a mistake at the very beginning of the body.  I emailed my sister about it:

Subject Line:  Ugh!  

Me: I have a mis-stitch on the lace band on the front. It's such a lot to rip back. Almost to the beginning of the body. To rip or not to rip, that is the question.

Nancy: Not rip, you can fudge it and no one would know.

Me:  I can't fudge it.  I can leave it and not tell anyone.

Nancy:  I mean weave yarn through it to close the hole.  It's near the underarm right?

Me:  No, the lace panels on the front!!! Ugh now I have to look under the arms too?!

Nancy:  No, I wasn't sure where the boo boo was.

I brought it into work and showed it around.  Really, I knew the answer all along and just didn't want to face ripping it out.

The question was put back to me, "What would you tell someone if they were asking you?"  My answer would have been, "rip it out if it will keep you up nights".  So there you have it folks, I ripped it out.  It's too lovely a sweater to finish knowingly with a mistake in it.
The small arrow marks the spot.  The silver lining (if you can call it that) is that the length was way too long for me and I won't have to knit as long as I did in the first place.

Note to self:  Use a row counter, you have enough of them in every form conceivable to man.

No comments: