A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wednesday's Stitch and Chat

Elizabeth's Starry Lace Shawl/Scarf is coming along beautifully in Artyarns Silk Rhapsody. 
 She's almost done knitting her Debbie Bliss Big Shrug.  Although the effect of knitted silk/mohair is lovely, progress always seems elusive.  You can knit for an hour and have only an inch to show for it.
Lois is about two thirds of the way through her Gypsy Tank.  I know she is more than ready to be done and I'm sure she is quite happy that there is minimal if any finishing when she's done knitting.
Donna is experiencing the vagaries of random looser purl rows.  I know that I experience this more often when I knit with non-animal fiber yarns.  She's swatching with Blue Sky Skinny Cotton for the Ruched Yoke Tee.  You'll see the looser rows quite clearly in the swatch above. 

One way to combat this is to use two different needle sizes:  the size you obtained gauge with for the knit row and a size (or two) smaller for the purl row.  This can be achieved with interchangeable circulars or straight needles.  If you look at Donna's swatch, you'll see a section in the middle and up at the top where she employed this technique and got a more consistent fabric.
Jane is about 75% done with Debbie Bliss Baby Blanket she is knitting from Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino 3.
 I received two emails with finished knits knitters who are away.  Sunaina sent me this picture and wrote, "This one all by myself including the double points and the final bit! I need to make 2 more and then move on to a new mountain!"  The new mountain will be the Krazy Kurti Sweater. 
 Michelle finished scarves for her grandchildren.  A Harry Potter Scarf for her grandson
 and a soft, cuddly pink scarf for her granddaughter.  

I love when I receive pictures of progress while people are away, it's the next best thing to being there.




No comments: