A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, December 5, 2011

An Epiphany

Last week I posted a funny cartoonish thing about ADD:
A woman I knew in high school made a comment that ADD comes in handy when you get older for multi-tasking. She also said that multi-tasking did not mean multi-finishing.  I had never thought about it that way.  I know there are differing views on the productivity of multi-tasking.  I never thought about it in terms of finishing.  And therein lies the rub.

I've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, not keeping up with basically everything.  Nancy tried to help me by asking which room bothers me the most.  The problem was whatever room I was in bothered me the most.  Normally I try the butterfly approach and spend a little time on everything.  Flitting about from one thing to another. 

I decided to try something novel.

I set about choosing a couple of things that I would COMPLETELY FINISH:  the laundry, a bit of (deadline)n knitting, and leaving the kitchen 100
100% tidy.  Lo and behold, I got it all done.

This is still and experiment.  I don't know how long I can resist the urge to multi-task.  There are many things that need tending and it's very distracting.  On the other hand, it does feel nice to have the laundry and kitchen albatross' off my back. 

What will I tackle tomorrow?

No comments: