A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Labor of Love

It was a big family weekend. This meant car travel, mindless knitting projects, and knitting time with my sister.She's been working on the Ocean's Edge Silk Shawl which is a beautiful pattern knit with a Ivy Brambles Pure Silk 20/2 Laceweight yarn, 1083 yards.
We bought it at her LYS, the Yarn and Fiber Company. We were smitten with the sample at the time and did not stop to open the pattern and review it. When will I(we) ever learn to look behind the curtain?

Lace is not Nancy's knitting technique of choice. She's a cable girl at heart. She totally got swept up with me in the moment.She's at the end and working on the lace border which gets worked into the live stitches around the shawl. I have brought this to Danni twice (our resident lace guru at Westport Yarns). Finally it was set up and ready to go. I was Nan's chief tape mover and support staff as she worked through the first chart.

She is now fudging forward because she wants to be done. It's stunning and I'm sure it's going to block out beautifully. It really is a gorgeous shawl and the yarn is very pretty. As far as my Ocean's Edge Silk Shawl, the yarn and pattern are up for grabs. The colorway I have is called Petunias, a pinky/purple color. After watching/helping Nancy, I've decided that true laceweight yarn is not my cup of tea.

Nancy tested my newest pattern, The Bentley Shrug. I knit mine with Artyarns Silk Pearl.
She used yarn we found at the Fiber Studio in Henniker, NH. The yarn is by Ellyn Cooper.I blocked it for her. It was only fair as she tested the pattern for me.It blocked out nicely and the colors are gorgeous. I tried to score what was left of the skein to no avail. She was onto my tricks.My dad needed the golf club covers I knit for him mended. And I quote, "You are not in the clear yet. I cannot appear on a golf course without my refurbished head covers. I am depending on your kindness, skill and guilt." I love my Dad, he's the best.

With my family weekend concluded, I now need some time to rest, and knit!

No comments: