A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Call me Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!

My mother knit this sweater for my father way back when. She knit it sideways from sleeve to sleeve and added a zipper. My mom is no slouch, that's for sure. It's a terrific sweater and when she was cleaning out her woolen stuff, I took it home.
Unfortunately, since it's been in storage for many years, the moths have had a field day with it. So I got this sort of brain storm. What if I felted it? It would not only fit me better, the moth holes would fuse together.
After one run through the washer, I saw that the moth holes kind of rolled back on themselves instead of fusing. Since I save even the tiniest bits of left over yarn, I had red, black, and dark gray. The red was the only match. The stripes in the sweater are navy and light gray. It was close enough. I sewed all the holes closed and put it in the machine for a shorter period of time as the size was almost right.

I am happy to say it worked

No comments: