A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Friday, September 17, 2010

Secret Squirrely Design Project

I've been swatching for a new design that Beth suggested to me. We looked through all the stitch dictionaries we had and came up with several options. I started with the design at the bottom and it wasn't lacy enough so I switched to the design above.
In the first swatch the stitches were too widely spaced and I knew when I blocked it, it would be too loose looking. I consulted with Danni, our resident lace diva for confirmation. She agreed and I went down a needle size.

I tried to be really detail oriented with this swatch and ran lifelines on the first and last row of the repeat and place markers to make it easier to see what the gauge was per pattern repeat (I was pretty pleased with myself).
See how pretty it is blocked out? That's one of the fun things about lace. It doesn't look like much until you block it. Kind of a lace magic trick.

The yarn I'm using is Cascade Ultra Pima, a beautiful cotton with lovely drape and sheen.

Time to go measure...

1 comment:

Ann said...

Any design that can be called squirrely has to be good.

Nice job with all the markers, I never think to do that the rare times I knit lace.