A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Yarn, Beads, and Baked Alaska

That about sums up my recent visit to my sister! It took us 5 hours to make a 3 hour trip because of weekend traffic. No worries there. When we arrived I was handed a glass of wine and fed a sumptuous dinner. Afterward, while I sat and knit, my sister casually whipped together Baked Alaska on fresh peaches.
OMG, words defy how delicious this was. Her talent and passion for cooking = mine for knitting/crochet. In other words, I call her for cooking questions and she calls me for knitting questions.

We visited the Yarn & Fiber Company (because no visit is complete without a trip to the yarn store). Our kids (who are either so well trained or they've realized the futility in arguing about it) waited without (much) comment.
I found a beautiful ribbon yarn, Prism Manhattan. It's intended project is a Tunisian Crochet scarf. Ever since Debra used Prism Tencel Tape for her Tunisian scarf I have been eager to work up my own Tunisian project in ribbon yarn. The effect is outstanding.

We are gearing up to offer a class in the Lizard Ridge Blanket at the store, I bought a skein of Noro Kureyon to play around with the pattern. It's a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to teaching/making it.
I'm using color #240 for this square.
Nancy was working on the Kirra Jacket from Berroco in Latitude. She is very focused, I give her a lot of credit. Over the weekend, I flitted about different projects: mitered pillow, lizard ridge blanket, Tunisian crochet, and color cables. Nancy, on the other hand, stayed the course with her jacket.
I went to a Troll Beads event and bought a beautiful bead called pink desert.
My Koigu Mitered Pillow sample is shaping up nicely. I really enjoy mitered knitting, it shows off the yarn so beautifully. I'm looking forward to the class at Westport Yarns.

All in all it was a perfect weekend. Time/obligations were suspended for a few days and that was a pleasure! Now I'm back and my desk runneth over.



No comments: