A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Respect the Green Paper

I thoroughly enjoy Jane Elliott's patterns a/k/a, "Not Just Plain Jane Knits". In the store we have a healthy respect when customer's come in with a question and waving that tell-tale green paper around.
This summer I've knit several of Jane's patterns. The Renaissance Poncho in Debbie Bliss Prima, Loved it - definite do-over in sparkly yarn for the holiday season.
The Lacy Hooded Cowl in Blue Sky Alpacas, Alpaca & Silk. Looking forward to wearing it.
Now I'm in the midst of the Starry Night Shawl.
Truly one of Jane's finest moments. To me I look at the construction of this shawl and marvel her coming up with it, let alone designing it. I'm knitting mine in Blue Heron Rayon Metallic.
I'm trying to instill in my family a healthy fear for the green paper. I would like them to see that green paper and think, omg, it's a Jane pattern. Back quietly away and don't make any sudden movements. Green paper should act like a force field for interruptions.

Last night after kitchenering the long stretch together it was clear that something was just not right. There is no fudging in this pattern. I had grafted one motif incorrectly and it had a domino effect on the long strip (85 sts) that I had just worked. I wanted to cry. My husband tried to help and I had to explain the severity of this mistake. The irrational part of me wanted to chuck it. The other voice in my head said, put it away and see what Jane says/does.

I spoke with Jane today and she made an example of me (with my consent). On how to fix Kitchener gone wrong. It literally took us 2 hours to take apart the grafted seam, we worked in tandem like it was microsurgery.
I think I held my breath for much of it and when I was able to get up, my vision was blurred. At one point Jane asked for the Ott lights to be centered around us. We couldn't move or stop what we were doing, to set up the lights ourselves.

Everyone in the class was kind and supportive. I am phenomenally grateful for Jane's talents. She is a master.

Now I can graduate onto the lace border. Which by the way, took the other ladies in the class the better part of 2 hours to work two rows. Ahh the things we do for knitting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Took me over an hour to frog my skew sock stretchy bind off to incorporate my dropped stitch!
Rose