A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, March 1, 2010

Now I know where I get it from.

My mother, who taught my sister and me how to knit when we were kids, has decided to take up knitting again.  It  could be that seeing Nancy and I knit together and enjoy it so much brings back the nostalgia of knitting together when we were growing up.

So the task fell to my sister to assist my mother in picking out the yarn.  I supplied (I thought) a pattern that fit her style.  My mother was a Fashion Designer and so it had to be just right.  The pattern I had suggested was "Jess" by Skiff.  An oversized, unconstructed tunic.

She bought Plymouth Bamboo yarn in a teal color.  

Nancy got her to swatch in 2 different needle sizes to decide which texture of stitches she liked better.
 
Her stitches were nice and even, remembered it perfectly, just like riding a bik.

When I learned that the yarn was Bamboo, I cautiously suggested to Nancy that my mother wash and block the swatch. Bamboo, like silk, does not have any real recovery and can grow.  Nancy and I had had a recent discussion about when bad things happen to good yarn and it doesn't behave the way you hope in a pattern and how to avoid that.  I said, although no one likes to do it, washing and blocking a swatch will tell you a lot about what it will do with wash/wear.

Well, my sister hissed at me over the phone.  Yes, that's right, hissed at me.  How come you never outgrow your childhood reactions to things when you are with your siblings/parents?  My mother, when relayed my suggestion said that she was going to fly with out a net.  Ahhh, my family.

I asked my mother to sign a disclaimer. :)

So back to the title of the post - Now I know where I get it from. I'm referring to my habit of never leaving well enough alone when I find a pattern to knit.  I find myself making some kind of adjustment.

As we discussed the pattern,  she didn't like the length - easy enough to modify.  She doesn't care for v-necks as much as boat or crew necks.  Then there were the sleeves.  Plus the "Jess" pattern does something funky at the back neck as well as the front is hand/machine sewn together.

Do you see where this is going? Yes, my mother and I are designing a sweater together.  She sketched out what she liked and faxed me the sketch. 

Meanwhile, she and Nancy knit on... I am majorly jealous!

So I am on hold until she reaches the desired length to armhole, then my consulting/designing services will be needed.

8 comments:

Ann said...

Ha!
My mom is trying to relearn how to knit from when she learned as a little, little girl.
Now I'm glad she isn't making any progress.

Elaine said...

Uh-oh! A mother, a sister, and long-distance pattern modifications??? Not to be a gloom-&-doomer, but I can see trouble on the horizon. I shall send up a prayer to the Knitting Goddess for you.

Nancy (little sister) said...

Tattling on me in your blog - I'm so telling Mom!

Pam said...

Where was the tattle?? I thought I put you in a good light!

Pam said...

We'll have to knit via Skype and add a whole new dimension!

knittingcentral said...

did you notice that the hand position is "exactly" the same on both your mother and nancy, especially their left hands?? you could probably measure the angle between their index and middle finger and it would be the same- too crazy.

Pam said...

I just looked, how cool is that. I wonder if I'd measure up the same. funny!

Anonymous said...

of course bamboo does grow like crazy in the wild, but who knew the yarn did too. I might have had second thoughts about doing a test washing etc.
Mom